Read 1 Timothy 3:16 and Philippians 2:6-11 in which the major points of our faith are outlined
The Apostles Creed is often said every Sunday in some churches. It summarizes the major points of our faith and has been spoken by Christians since the 300s. It contains twelve separate statements which are listed below. Read the statements together and discuss each one. Can you find a place in the Bible that talks about each of the twelve statements?
1. I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
2. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
3. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary.
4. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
5. He descended into hell. On the third day he rose again.
6. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.
7. He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
8. I believe in the Holy Spirit,
9. the holy catholic* Church, the communion of saints,
10. the forgiveness of sins,
11. the resurrection of the body,
12. and the life everlasting.
(* you might be wondering about the word “catholic”. Do you notice that the word isn’t capitalized? When it is capitalized, it refers to the Catholic church. When it is not capitalized, it means “universal” or “all-embracing” and refers to the Church around the world.)
Today marks the final day of our Twelve Days of Christmas celebration. When families used to celebrate the Twelve Days of Christmas together, they would plan special “Twelfth Night” parties for this final day of Christmas. You might want to have a “Twelfth Night” party of your own. Invite the neighbors over for a bonfire, have a pitch-in, make cookies together, take a walk, pull out all of your Christmas blessing gifts and enjoy them again.